Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China
Cantonese and English
Hong Kong is one of the two Special Administrative regions of China, with Macau being the other one. It is located on the south coast of China with the Pearl River Delta and the South China Sea surrounding it.
- Population: 7,415,027 (2018)
- Sex Ratio: 0.94 male(s)/female
- Ethnic Groups
- Life Expectancy
- Males: 81.23 years
- Females: 87.15 years
Infant Mortality Rate
1.384 deaths/1,000 live births
Diseases with the highest prevalence
- Heart Disease
Clinical Research Related Information
Regulatory Authority: Department of Health, Hong Kong
Average time for regulatory and IEC/IRB approval is ~3-4 months
Ethics Committees in Hong Kong follow international council of harmonisation principles. There are six ethics committees in Hong Kong covering 41 hospitals. The ethics committees meet every two weeks.
- Hong Kong East Cluster Research Ethics Committee
- Institutional Review Board of the University of Hong Kong / Hospital Authority Hong Kong West Cluster
- Kowloon Central Cluster Research Ethics Committee / Kowloon East Cluster Research Ethics Committee
- Kowloon West Cluster Research Ethics Committee Ethics Committee
- The Joint Chinese University of Hong Kong – New Territories East Cluster Clinical Research Ethics Committee
- New Territories West Cluster Research Ethics Committee
Why Hong for clinical trials?
- Hong Kong is the third most active industry sponsored clinical trials city in Asia, after Seoul and Taipei
- Global and regional key opinion leaders in various specialties, especially cardiology, gastroenterology, hepatology, oncology and endocrinology
- Hong Kong is officially recognised by China Food and Drug Administration for conducting clinical trials for drug registration purpose in mainland China in specific therapeutic areas.
- Hong Kong has two government supported Phase I centres
- Regulatory and Ethics applications can be submitted in English, in parallel with obtaining regulatory approval.Medical device and non-interventional studies require only Ethics approval.
- Hong Kong has a well established legal system with strong intellectual property protection.
- Research dedicated investigators, staff and high quality facilities
- English is an official second language in Hong Kong